This guide is a walkthrough of the requirements to take the PE Exam, obtain a PE license, and maintain your PE license, including Professional Development Hours (PDH’s) in the state of Georgia.
I will update this as often as possible, but to make sure you’ve got the most up-to-date information, always check for the right information from these links:
- Requirements to Take the PE Exam in Georgia. To take the PE exam in Georgia you must apply with the Georgia board. You can get the latest version of the application at the Georgia board’s website here by clicking on “PE or SE Exam Application.” You must type the information into the application and mail it along with all required forms to the Georgia board.
- Requirements to Apply for a PE License in Georgia. The Georgia board’s website does not have clear information about what you need to do to obtain your license after passing the PE Exam. If you have questions, contact the board with their contact information at the bottom of this page.
- Requirements to Renew Your PE License in Georgia Head to this link to sign into your online account to renew your Georgia PE license. You must renew your license every two years and pay a fee of $50 to do so. It appears that the required PDHs to maintain your Georgia license is 30.
This article is meant as a general reference and does not replace the official guidelines from the Georgia state board or NCEES.
Requirements to Take the PE Exam in Georgia
You must fill out an application to take the PE exam in Georgia. You can find the application (current as of 10/21) at this link. For the most up-to-date forms, head to this page then click on “PE or SE Exam Application (Rev [DATE]).
The application and all additional forms need to be typed then printed and mailed to the Georgia board’s physical location. There is no online application available at this time.
There are six sections in the application, all of which you can see at the above links. These include:
- General Information (including name, mailing address, etc.)
- Registration (this refers to any prior registrations you’ve had with the Georgia board.)
- Experience (usually you need 4 years of experience but I couldn’t find any specific requirements you must meet to take the PE exam.)
- Education (you need a 4-year ABET-accredited degree and you will need to submit transcripts.)
- Affidavit (including a picture and notarized signature.)
- Endorsement Form (also known as references. A physical copy needs to be completed by each reference and sent in with your application.)
To register once this is all complete, go to the NCEES website, sign in, and click on “Register for an exam” then follow these steps.
Requirements to Get Your PE License in Georgia
As I mentioned before, the Georgia board’s website is very unclear about what happens after you pass the PE Exam. On the above links to the forms there appears to be no form that is strictly for applying for your PE license after passing the PE exam. You still must apply with the state board before you are licensed, though.
The first thing to do to clarify this if you’re wondering is to contact the board. You can find their contact info at the bottom of this page.
The application to take the PE Exam in Georgia is as complex as the application to get licensed in most other states. From what I’ve seen in creating similar articles to this for other states that have similar requirements as Georgia, it’s likely you won’t need to do much else after finding out that you’ve passed the PE Exam.
In some states that have similar requirements to these, the board contacts you at some point after NCEES releases scores. This is most likely what happens in Georgia as well.
But as I’ve said, I’d recommend contacting them to clarify this if you want to know before you go through the whole process and at the very least after you find out you’ve passed the PE Exam.
Professional Development Hours for Georgia PE’s
The Georgia board’s website has very little information about the requirements to renew your PE license. However, you will be able to renew by logging in at this link.
After some digging, I was able to determine that the renewal period is every two years and that you need 30 PDHs to be able to renew.
If you have further questions, contact the Georgia state board with the info at the bottom of this page.